Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Merits of a Jackass

I learned today that donkeys protect their land. They stomp snakes too death and they can scare off packs of coyotes. They and deer are friends.

Donkeys have no resources that would indicate they could do this. They are not especially fast or ferocious. They have no tusks or horns or sharp teeth. They have no special sight or vision or hearing. They aren't even especially heavy like elephants. They have have no sharp claws or quills or a wicked bad stench like a skunk. They have no camouflage, they can't fly and they aren't climbers. They aren't even capable of the element of surprise.

They love to be with their owners.

I want to be Christ's donkey. I want to be discerning enough to recognize those who would harm me and those who would befriend me like a deer. I want to spend time with those I love and fight to protect what we hold dear. If nothing else, donkeys are fearless and faithful. They don't sit around and get gobbled up because of their lack of power. They just dig in and hold their ground and get it done.

I want to love to spend time with the owner of my soul and everlasting life, my Lord and my God.

To want nothing more than this, the world will view me as a jackass. God will view me as his true and faithful servant.

That being said, I want to be a jackass cause this jackass is not home until heaven so what I need to be protecting is not here but there.

No comments: