Saturday, March 24, 2007

alternate ending

The value of an alternate ending lies in the possibilities. I love a movie that comes with alternate endings. I've never seen one that I preferred to the original ending. Most of the time the alternate endings aren't very well done and some of them aren't even plausible. In fact, I can't think of a single one I've seen that I would have put in the movie in lieu of the original.

However, I still love the alternate endings. There is just something so exciting about thinking that the same story could have ended in a totally different way. I know that when scenes in the movie of my life don't end quite as I would have liked them to, I always come up with an alternate ending. Somehow devising an alternate ending just seems more hopeful, less written in stone, less permanent and finalized.

If I had the power to make my life embody the alternate ending I have imagined, I would most likely would choose not to, but just knowing the possibility was there-- that if some event had played out differently it would have completely changed the ending-- is mystical and exciting to me.

The funny thing about alternate endings is to make the story end differently you have to change something in the middle or the beginning. I find that most often I'm not willing to sacrifice the other parts of the story in order to change the ultimate outcome.

It's not that its possible, but I love the romantic ideal of having a moment with the power to stand alone, not connected to the past or the future. I love the concept that something can be beautiful in and of itself lacking the baggage of the past and the strings of the future.

Unfortunately, just as we have seen from movies like Back to the Future and Deja Vu, it seems inevitable that if we change something in the beginning of the story, the end invariably changes, and most often, not in the way we meant it to. By changing the end of one event, we have tampered with the beginning of another.

It is these circumstances that make me wish that, like the movies, we could watch the alternate endings of the scenes of our lives, without having to replace the original ending. After all, the alternate ending in the movies is an entertaining bonus of the movie that is disconnected from the movie itself, except for carrying over the information needed to give it whatever value it does possess.

No comments: