Saturday, March 24, 2007

seventh grade

I wish the seventh grade kids I work with weren’t mean to each other.

I wish people realized the influence they have on each other and that the ones that were so influenced knew how little what those people thought of them mattered. For instance, it doesn’t matter what people who are willing to make fun of others think because they are obviously lacking all the qualities of a truly valuable person such as tact, compassion, respect, and education.

I hear these kids calling each other fat and spreading rumors about one another, accusing twins of incestuous relations and it makes me mad. First off because they don’t have the right to make life harder on this earth for one another. Secondly, because kids who can’t write or speak properly and can scarcely spell haven’t earned the right to evaluate the lives of others.

When I was in about eighth grade, a kid at the lockers called me fat and it has taken me a long time to get over a simple comment like that. If I had better understood what motivated him to say something like that when all a comment like that does is serve to make someone else feel bad, I would have said I’m sorry your parents didn’t love you well enough that your happiness comes from the inside rather than your having to obtain it by trying to steal some of mine. However, that would have been a mouthful for an eighth grader!

These kids are going nowhere fast and they haven’t a clue what it will take to be successful in this world nor do they have the skills. I’m trying to explain to them that outside of school no one cares who you can beat up. They let everyone control them because they allow every one around them to anger them and do it easily over the things that are not the marrow of life.

I’ve always known I’ve never wanted to be a teacher because it’s so much like continuously watching car crashes in the making, knowing what’s needed to prevent them, yet being powerless to stop them. All being the Reading Coach has taught me is what I already knew about me….I wasn’t meant to teach.

I think being a good parent is about one of the best contributions you can make to this world. Love your children no matter what, beat them when they are bad, play with them out in the yard, read to them, encourage them, inspire them, teach them something new every chance you get. You are their foundation and their only basis of support. If you don’t teach them that they are beautiful, talented, special, unique, strong, athletic, and smart they will never know it because that’s definitely not the message the world is sending them. People can’t aspire to a potential they don’t believe they have.

From the time I was born, my parents were constantly telling my brother and I that we were beautiful and athletic and smart. They just knew how to show us how well they loved us and to build us up constantly. There was nothing we didn’t try. We played all kinds of sports, we had lots of friends, and we made pretty decent grades. We were then and are now confident, happy, and well adjusted. We are not easily led and we always think for ourselves. My parents always put us first and sacrificed to give us a stable home life and to always make sure we knew we were safe and loved, though the world crashed down around us.

Most of the kids I work with don’t have the advantage of doting parents. Their parents are self seeking and worldly. Some of them are on drugs, many of them don’t spend any time with their kids, a lot of them probably never hear I love you; no one teaches them to be respectful or to work hard and get an education so as to make something out of themselves.

Consequently, these kids are in seventh grade and they can scarcely read or write. Their grammar and pronunciation is so poor that much of the time what they are saying is incomprehensible because they mutter, stutter, and stammer, and I must have them repeat what they are saying several times. However, they know more about drugs, fighting, and sex that I know at twice their age. I suppose all of that makes you cooler in seventh grade but it doesn’t give you any points on a college exam, on a resume, or in a job interview. I guess they know all they will ever need to know to be employee of the month at some minimum wage job or be the best inmate on their cell block, but if they are looking for more than that, they are going to need to stop focusing on what’s wrong with their classmates and get their heads in the books and start thinking for themselves.

I could never be a good teacher because the only thing I would ever try to teach my students is their potential and how to live up to it, as well as how to love and accept one another. I would try to instill in them that it's better to walk through fire than to ever risk unnecessarily wounding another. And I'm pretty sure that I'm not qualified to teach those things.

Today, I'm thankful for my wonderful parents who told us that we possessed qualities we weren't worthy of so that we might rise up and attain them, and I am thankful for the many teachers I've had that kept working hard to fill the vessles of our minds, despite the odds.

No comments: