Sunday, March 30, 2008

If I can see the speck in your eye it is because I have less than a speck of love in my heart

Jesus? Who is Jesus? Jesus is our savior who walked this earth preaching love, grace, and forgiveness. He spoke of hope and salvation for all sinners, not saints alone. He spoke of love covering over a multitude of sins. He spoke of correcting our brothers and sisters in Christ for not loving one another enough, for not building each other up, for not serving one another.
I know sin is all the same to God, but with my human mind and heart and soul it seems like one of the worst sins of all is to live a life devoid of true love for others-a life you spent sitting in negative judgement and criticism of others. A life of picking specks of sawdust from the eyes of others, despite the plank in your own eye.
A person of genuine warmth and kindness and friendliness who welcomes strangers and makes them feel like home is with us, the body of believers, the followers of Christ is who I want to be. I want to be someone who inspires peace and hope and confidence in others. I want to be someone who makes others believe first of all in our Savior and secondly in themselves. I don't want to inspire doubt and fear and confusion or self pity or hoplessness.
Okay so I'm a sinner; one who drinks and cusses and has sexually impure thoughts who fails to be as giving of my time as I should, who fails to have a servant's heart, and who fails to have a heart of true repentance the way I ought.
What do I not do? I don't fill the world up full of my judgement of its behavior. It's not my job! Or my right. It's my Father's job and he didn't delegate that duty to me. I don't critize and I don't make others feel bad, not for the things they don't accomplish or for their appearance and I don't make others feel like nothing, like they aren't special and they aren't valuable and they shouldn't be heard or that I don't want them around or that I feel sorry them.
I've met some people recently that represent the kind of person I want to be. They welcome new people into their group with open arms, like old friends. They get to know them just to shine the light of God into their lives. They find ways to include others in fellowship and they find ways to use their time and talents to serve God and teach to others to do the same, because he says "when I was hungry, you fed me. When I was thirsty, you gave me something to drink. When I was naked, you clothed me." They understand that as they do these things for one another, they do them unto God.
I cannot live a life of perfection on this earth. Of that, I have no doubt. But I will not live a life of misery doing what I can to make those around me miserable by constantly verbally belittling and berating them for the mistakes in their lives, pretending that because I do not drink and do not cuss and have never had a night of lust and I do not have piercings and tatoos and children out of wedlock or landed in prison for DUI or dropped out of college or gone bankrupt or smoked pot or what not that I'm the superior and ultimate Christian who gets to judge those who have done any or all those things.
I do not have that right! Neither do you! No one on this earth does. That is the business of Heaven! Besides, I would prefer any and all the sins on that list to having a hardened and calloused heart trying in vain to observe the law like a Pharisee paying lip service to God and all the while hating my brethen, his very children.
What do you accomplish if you have not love? You have nothing, you gain nothing. We were meant to point the lost to Jesus. Jesus is so much more love than he is judgment. Love saves people. Judgment is reserved even by God until the very end. Only when we are beyond saving are we are judged and condemned, never before that. God doesn't do it because he knows that until the very end there is hope for us and that judgment inspires and saves no one. Judgment is nothing more than the exclamation point of dissatisfation on a life lived without God. Judgment is not about a life full of mistakes. Unlike human beings God forgives failures and flaws.
You fail God only when you refuse to let him do for you what you cannot do for yourself. You cannot save yourself. You cannot follow the law. You can only follow Jesus. Take your sins and your imperfections and cover over their multitude with the love of Christ and pour it all out into the world of sinners. Love the evil in your heart out and love it out of others.
Don't judge others but remind and encourage your brothers and sisters in Christ to love another with the love Christ has shown us.

No comments: