Sunday, January 07, 2007

labyrinth

I went for a walk around campus just the other day to give my legs a rest from running. I hoped as always to find something worthy of writing about. There were beautiful birds, a golf course, a mud puddle called the lagoon, and plenty of traffic pollution. More than that, I discovered the labyrinth for the first time ever. I had seen it a million times but never walked it. It’s like a maze but it is so low to the ground you can remove yourself from it any time you so desire. At any rate, the object is to walk through it and clear your mind and let your heart turn to God in prayer. Personally, I have trouble emptying my mind enough to let my heart talk to God while I feel like an idiot walking through a maze I can easily step out of. However, maybe knowing how practical I am God decided to use this to his advantage. As I walked through my mini maze I couldn’t help but reach down and cast out the debris, including candy wrappers and small tree limbs. As I did this, I began thinking of how this is much like life. There are always little obstacles, small obstructions to our progress. However, just as these things didn’t mean I was on the wrong path in the labyrinth or that I wouldn’t reach my destination, they don’t mean that in real life. Sure, they were a bit of a pain to remove from my path and slowed my progress a bit, but that’s really all they have the power to do. In life, take the time to remove obstacles from your path and do not concern yourself with whether or not you are running the course on par with those around you. We all encounter obstacles of varying magnitudes and at different times in our paths. You might be struggling with something in your that your best friend does not have to deal with. However, that is not to say, that she will not be struggling with something much more severe down the road. Do a good job evaluating and removing your obstacles, and glean from them every good life lesson you can. Then, you will be well equipped to help your friend remove the obstacles from her path when the time comes. I do believe I was put here to help everyone that I can with whatever small wisdom God chooses to impart to me. What greater blessing can you hope to encounter than easing the force of life’s burdens upon another?

No comments: